One Loudoun is quickly becoming Ashburn’s “downtown” and this Saturday evening, the center will celebrate the holidays with its 4th annual tree lighting. The Burn went digging for some fun facts about the big pine tree.
- It’s a 26-foot spruce tree from an area grower and weighs between three and five tons.
- The tree isn’t chopped down. Yay! Instead, it’s dug out at the roots. After the holidays it will be replanted on the One Loudoun property.
- The team from K&H Landscaping spends more than 100 hours installing and decorating the One Loudoun tree.
- It has 115 big red lights on it along with 113 strands of white lights. Yikes! We would not want to be the ones untangling those!
- If you look closely, the tree is topped by a one-of-a-kind tree topper — it’s a handcrafted version of the One Loudoun logo.
- When the tree is illuminated at the tree lighting on Saturday, the switch will be thrown using an iPad app.
IF YOU GO:
What: 4th Annual One Loudoun Tree Lighting
When: 5-7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3
Where: The Plaza at One Loudoun, Ashburn
While the reindeer rest up for the big night, Santa Claus will be arriving on a fire truck at 5:50 p.m. Kids can get a free photo with the jolly old elf and parents will be able to upload it to social media on the spot. There will be free food samples from One Loudoun restaurants, holiday music and more. The tree lighting will happen at 6 p.m. and the event will be capped off with fireworks at 6:50 p.m.
Most importantly, if you can, bring an unwrapped toy to donate. The toys will go to children being helped by the Women Giving Back organization, which works with women and children in crisis and living in transitional housing. After all, that’s the real spirit of the holidays.