In light of the recent tragedy at Stone Bridge High School, The Burn wanted to share these warning signs of teen suicide, as well as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number (1-800-273-8255). Please share this information with young people in your life so we can all recognize the signs and be ready to take action.
- Talking about suicide
- Making statements about feeling hopeless, helpless, or worthless
- A deepening depression
- Preoccupation with death
- Taking unnecessary risks or exhibiting self-destructive behavior
- Out of character behavior
- A loss of interest in the things one cares about
- Visiting or calling people one cares about
- Making arrangements; setting one’s affairs in order
- Giving prized possessions away
Along with these warning signs, there are certain Risk Factors that can elevate the possibility of suicidal ideation.
- Perfectionist personalities
- Gay and Lesbian youth
- Learning disabled youth
- Youth with low self- esteem
- Depressed youth
- Students in serious trouble
- Abused, Molested or Neglected Youth
- Genetic predisposition
- Parental history of violence, substance abuse, or divorce
You may be the first and last person to see these signs in a young person.
Source: The Jason Foundation
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline