Ashburn area fans of the Wawa convenience store chain will have to wait a little longer for the first Loudoun location to open. The new Wawa store at the intersection of Old Ox Road and Oakgrove Road in Sterling originally had a tentative opening date of this week. But now it is scheduled to open sometime this summer, most likely July or August, according to Wawa representatives.
The brand, which breeds an unusual level of loyalty among its customers, has been expanding in Virginia and up and down the east coast. It now has more than 630 locations in six states — New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and Florida.
While we’re waiting for the store to open, we thought you hardcore Wawa-ites might enjoy a little more history.
- The original company that became Wawa was founded in 1803.
- In 1902, the owner opened a small milk plant in Wawa, Pennsylvania.
- For generations, Wawa was known as a dairy and milk delivery service in the greater Philadelphia region.
- In the 1960s, company leaders saw that the milk delivery industry was fading and decided to open a convenience store to sell their dairy products.
- The first Wawa store opened April 16, 1964 in Folsom, Pa.
- Wawa’s popular proprietary coffee was introduced in the 1970s. Today, more than 195 million cups are brewed each year.
- More than 60 million Wawa hoagie sandwiches are sold each year.
- Currently, the closest Wawa store to Ashburn is in Chantilly.