STATEMENT FROM THE LOUDOUN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
The Loudoun County Health Department announced that a third resident of Loudoun County has tested “presumptive positive” for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). This individual is a male in his 30s who lives in Loudoun County. The Health Department is currently investigating the potential source of this person’s infection. The individual is being treated at a hospital in Loudoun County.
Earlier this week, the county reported its first and second case of COVID-19. The positive test results are considered “presumptive positive,” pending confirmatory testing by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 can cause mild to more severe respiratory illness. In a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can cause death, particularly among those who are older or who have chronic medical conditions. Symptoms include fever, cough and difficulty breathing. Symptoms appear within 14 days of being exposed to an infectious person. COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. To lower the risk of respiratory germ spread, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages the following effective behaviors:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Avoid non-essential travel.
This is a rapidly changing situation, and information is being shared as it becomes available. Residents may learn more and sign up for updates about COVID-19 from the Loudoun County government at loudoun.gov/coronavirus. Residents may also text LCCOVID19 to 888777 to receive text alerts from Loudoun County about COVID-19.
Residents with questions may call the Loudoun County Health Department public information line, 703-737-8300, or send an email.