UPDATE 1 PM SUNDAY (1-3-20): A Sheriff’s office spokesperson reports that the two Walmart employees were treated for their injuries and have been released from the hospital. The injured Sheriff’s deputy remains hospitalized in stable condition. The suspect also remains hospitalized in stable condition. Charges against him are pending.


A series of dramatic videos appears to show the final moments of Saturday night’s manhunt for a the suspect in a shooting at the Sterling Walmart. That incident left three people injured, including a Loudoun County Sheriff’s deputy. The video was captured on the home security cameras of Patrick Williams who lives in Chantilly. In them, you can see the presumed suspect walking back and forth through Williams’ backyard as police lights flash and sirens blare. Meanwhile, a Fairfax police helicopter hovers overhead shining a spotlight on the suspect. Another shows police officers stalking through Williams’ front yard.




The shooting late Saturday afternoon at the Walmart store in Sterling has left three people injured, including a Sheriff’s deputy. That deputy was last reported in serious but stable condition at Reston Hospital and was expected to undergo surgery. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening. The suspect fled and, and after a manhunt that lasted more than two hours, the suspect was taken into custody Saturday evening.

Sheriff Mike Chapman held a press conference Saturday evening to provide more details on the incident. According to Chapman, a suspect was believed to be in the process of shoplifting items from the Walmart store at the Dulles Crossing Plaza in Sterling. That’s next door to the Sam’s Club and the Lowe’s Home Improvement store. Walmart loss prevention team members confronted the suspect and took him into a security office while Sheriff’s deputies were called. Two male deputies arrived and were in the process of taking the suspect into custody when the suspect began to struggle and suddenly drew a firearm from his waistband and began shooting. The two Walmart employees were struck as was one of the two deputies. Chapman said the deputy was struck multiple times in his lower extremities, which would be in and around his legs. The other deputy was able to return fire and the suspect was shot an unknown number of times. Nevertheless, the suspect was able to flee the store and find a pick-up truck in the parking lot with the keys in it. He reportedly took the truck and headed south on State Road 28 into Fairfax County. The three victims at the Walmart were transported to Reston Hospital where they are being treated for non-life threatening injuries. A manhunt in Fairfax County in the area of SR 28 and Highway 50 lasted for more than two hours. It involved officers and assets from Loudoun County as well as the Fairfax County Police and the Virginia State Police. K-9 police units tracked the suspect and the Fairfax Police helicopter searched from overhead. Officials confirmed the suspect was taken into custody in the 7 p.m. hour. Reports that the suspect shot at police officers in Fairfax County as they pursued him have not been confirmed.